Dr. Yu Meng
2980 Washington Street
Riverside, CA 92504
San Bernardino County
Dr. Yu Meng is the Youth Family and Community Advisor for Riverside, Imperial, and San Bernardino Counties. She conducts research and academically oversees UC CalFresh Healthy Living, Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program, 4-H Positive Youth Development, Master Food Preserver, and Farm Smart programs at the UC Cooperative Extension and Desert Research and Extension Center. She has more than 5 years of experience conducting community nutrition research and developing youth development program. Her background is in Nutrition Science with an emphasis on nutrition education and behavior. Dr. Meng is familiar with behavior principles, impact and process evaluation framework, and research-based intervention development. Her research and programmatic interests include food security, community development, building community capacity, youth engagement, consumer climate change literacy, and obesity prevention.
- Family Health & Wellness Award
Presented by National Extension Association of Family Consumer Sciences, 2022
- Regional Communication Award
Presented by National Association of Extension Family & Consumer Sciences, 2022
- Innovative Youth Development Programming Award Western Region Winner
Presented by National Extension Association of Family Consumer Sciences, 2021
SpecialtyNutrition Science, Nutrition Education and Behavior
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Human Nutrition
- Individual and Family Resource Management
- Youth Development
- Community Development
- Nutrition Education
- Healthy Families and Communities
- Worker, S; Nayak, R, et al. (In Press). 4-H programs help youth improve their public speaking confidence. California Agriculture.
- Meng, Y; Neelon, M, et al. (In Press). Exploring the challenges and benefits of online youth-led nutrition programs. California Agriculture.
- Marshall-Wheeler, N.; Meng Y., Worker S. (2022). Exploring Public Speaking Self-Efficacy in the 4-H Presentation Program. Journal of Extension. 60(4), Article 12. https://doi.org/10.34068/joe.60.04.12
- Keeney, A.J. (2022). We all have a job to do in this world, it's up to us”: Farmworker and farmer mental health in a rural US-Mexico border region. Journal of Agromedicine.
- Keeney, A; Hernandez, P, et al. (2020). Assessing Farm Stress and Community Supports in a US-Mexico Border County. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. https://elibrary.asabe.org/abstract.asp?aid=51956
- McGuirt, J.T.; Cooke, N.K., et al. (2020). Extended Reality Technologies in Nutrition Education and Behavior: Comprehensive Scoping Review and Future Directions. Nutrients. 22 September. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12092899
- Patton-Lopez, M.; Manore, MM., et al. (2018). Changes in Sport Nutrition Knowledge, Attitudes/Beliefs and Behaviors Following a Two-Year Sport Nutrition Education and Life-Skills Intervention among High School Soccer Players. Nutrients.
- Meng, Y; Manore, M.M, et al. (2018). Promoting Healthy Diet, Physical Activity, and Life-Skills in High School Athletes: Results from the WAVE Ripples for Change Childhood Obesity Prevention 2-Year Intervention. Nutrients.
- Meng, Y; Wong, SS., et al. (2018). WAVE Ripples for Change Obesity 2-y Intervention in High School Soccer Players: Process evaluation, best practices, and youth engagement. Nutrients.
- Manore, M. M.; Patton-Lopez, M. M., et al. (2017). Sport Nutrition Knowledge, Behaviors and Beliefs of High School Soccer Players. Nutrients.
- Wong, SS; Meng, Y., et al. (2014). Smart applications to track and record physical activity: implications for obesity treatment. Smart Homecare Technology. 77.
- Meng, Y.; Nemere, I. (2013). The Effects of 24R, 25Dihydroxyvitamin D3 and 24S, 25Dihydroxyvitamin D3 on Phosphate Transport in Vivo. Immunology, Endocrine & Metabolic Agents in Medicinal Chemistry (Formerly Current Medicinal Chemistry-Immunology, Endocrine and Metabolic Agents). 13:1, 60-67.
- Sterling, T.M.; Khanal, R.C., et al. (2013). Vitamin-Binding Proteins: Functional Consequences Rapid Pre-Gernomic Responses of Vitamin D, Chapter 5. CRC press.
- Meng, Y.; Neelon, M. (2022). Exploring Challenges, Strategies and Benefits of Online YPAR Programming from Both Nutrition Educators’ and Youth’s Perspective. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior.
- Meng Y., Diaz J. (2022). Partnering with Migrant Head Start Program to Implement Farm-to-Preschool Festival in a Bag during Pandemic. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior.
- Meng Y., Diaz J. (2022). Supplement Farm-to-Preschool Festival to Meet the Parents’ Needs in Gardening with Instructional Garden Videos. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior.
- Koundinya, V. (2021). Assessing the impact of an agricultural extension education program during COVID-19 restrictions using virtual Ripple Effects Mapping method. 35th Annual Conference of the American Evaluation Association.
- Meng, Y; Neelon, Ma, et al. (2021). Climate and Health. https://ucanr.edu/sites/StrategicInitiatives/files/371598.pdf
- Meng, Y; Marisa, N (2021). Food Waste Prevention: A guide for community educators to support food resource management education. https://ucanr.edu/sites/Test1/files/347664.pdf
- Y., meng; C., Wong (2021). Home Garden Videos Part 3: Desert Climate. https://youtu.be/405AtiuRJ84
- Y., meng; C., Wong (2021). Home Gardening Video Part 2: Seed Germination. https://youtu.be/aaeXynCMp1s
- Y., Meng; C., Wong (2021). Home gardening videos part I: Get Started. https://youtu.be/E_80925euKo
- Worker, Steven M; Meng, Yu, et al. (2020). 2020 Virtual State 4-H Field Day Evaluation Report. https://ucanr.edu/sites/sfd/files/333685.pdf
- Lynn Cialdella-Kam, Megan Patton-Lopez (2020). A Comparison Of Body Image Perception And Weight Management In Latino And White Adolescent Soccer Players. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 7/1.
- Tabarez, Paul; Meng, Yu (2020). CalFresh Healthy Living, UCCE Imperial County improves health by being first in Imperial County to pivot to online nutrition education. UC Deliver. June. http://www.ucanr.org/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=43178
- Johnson, C; Meng, Y. (2020). California Youth Participatory Action Research Projects Illustrates the Need for Nutrition Staff Professional Development. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 52. 7/1.
- Meng, Yu (2020). COVID-19 Imperial County Resources: Youth Family and Community. Ag Brief. April.
- Meng, Yu (2020). Partnering with 4-H and High School Culinary Club to Provide School-Based Nutrition Education to Engage Latino Youth in Teaching Cooking Classes to Younger Youth and Adapting Healthy Eating Behaviors. 7/1.
- Meng, Yu (2020). Promoting Healthy People and Community through Gardens. Ag Brief. May. http://ceimperial.ucanr.edu/newsletters/Ag_Briefs84883.pdf
- Meng, Yu (2020). Support Youth Mental Healthy with 4-H. Ag Brief. July.
- Meng, Yu; Martinez, Anita (2020). UCCE Imperial County 4-H Monthly/Bimonthly Newsletter. http://ceimperial.ucanr.edu/4h/Intercom/
- Meng, Yu (2020). UCCE Imperial Online Programs Support Healthy Living and Youth Development. Ag Brief. Sep. http://ceimperial.ucanr.edu/newsletters/Ag_Briefs86488.pdf
- Meng, Yu (2020). Using Comprehensive Approach to Implement Plan Shop Safe Cook Curriculum in a Low-income Hispanic Community. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 7/1.