Kevin R. Day
County Director and Pomology AdvisorCooperative Extension Tulare County
4437-B S. Laspina St.
Tulare, CA 93274
MS Plant Science, California State University, Fresno. 1985
- Carroll R. Miller Award
Presented by National Peach Council, http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/newsletters/ANR_Report44727.pdf, 2012
SpecialtyFresh-shipping deciduous tree fruits. Cultural practices and production, fruit growth and development, pruning and training systems
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Deciduous Tree Fruits
- Stone Fruits - General
- Peaches - General
- Peaches - Cling
- Peaches, Freestone
- Deciduous Tree Fruits - Other
- Plants and Their Systems
- Plant Production
- Plant Biological Efficiency and Abiotic Stresses Affecting Plants
- Plant Product Quality and Utility (Preharvest)
- Plant Management Systems
- Basic Plant Biology
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Pathogens and Nematodes Affecting Plants
- Weeds Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Water Quality, Quantity, and Security
- Safe and Secure Food Supplies
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Ayres, James A.; Phene, Claude J. (2017). Determining pomegranate water and nitrogen requirements with drip irrigation. Agricultural Water Management. Elsevier B.V. 187, 11-23. 5 March 2017. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2017.03.007
- Tombesi, S.; Day, K. R. (2017). Effectiveness of peach (Prunus persica) rootstocks for vigor control of plum (P.Salicina)scions in relation with xylem vessel size. Acta Horticulturae.T. Robinson. International Society for Horticultural Science. 1177, 111-116.
- DeJong, T.M.; Johnson, R.S. (2011). "Controller 5, Controller 9 and Hiawatha peach rootstocks: their performance and physiology." Acta Horticulturae 903: 221-228.
- Day, Kevin R.; Johnson, R.S. (2011). "Effect of timing of topping to reduce tree height on subsequent year vigor of early-season â??Arctic Starâ?? nectarine." Acta Horticulturae 903: 711-716.
- Day, Kevin R.; Buckner, Richard P. (2011). Growing prunes for the fresh market. UC Prune Production Manual.
- DeJong, T.M.; Negron, C. (2011). "Using concepts of shoot growth and architecture to understand and predict responses to peach tree pruning." Acta Horticulturae
- Lopez, G.; Day, Kevin R. (2011). "Why do early spring temperatures reduce peach fruit size and yield at harvest." Acta Horticulturae 903: 1055-1062.
- Tombesi, S.; Johnson, R. S. (2010). Relationships between xylem vessel characteristics, calculated axial hydraulic conductance and size-controlling capacity of peach rootstocks. Annals of Botany. 105:2, 327-331.
- Basile, B.; Mariscal, M. J. (2002). Japanese plum (Prunus salicina L.) fruit growth: Seasonal pattern of source/sink limitations. Journal American Pomological Society. 56:2, 86-93.
- Rosati, A.; Day, K. R. (2000). Distribution of leaf mass per unit area and leaf nitrogen concentration determine partitioning of leaf nitrogen within tree canopies. Tree Physiology. 20:4, 271-276.
- Dejong, T. M.; Day, K. R. (1991). Relationships between Shoot Productivity and Leaf Characteristics in Peach Canopies. Hortscience. 26:10, 1271-1273.
- Day, K. R.; Dejong, T. M. (1990). Girdling of Early Season Mayfire Nectarine Trees. Journal of Horticultural Science 65(5): 529-534. 65:5, 529-534.
- DeJong, T. M.; Day, K. R. (1989). Partitioning of leaf nitrogen with respect to within canopy light exposure and nitrogen availability in peach (Prunus persica). Trees-Structure and Function. 3:2, 89-95.
- Day, K. R.; Dejong, T. M. (1989). Postharvest and Preharvest Summer Pruning of Firebrite Nectarine Trees. Hortscience. 24:2, 238-240.
- Dejong, T. M.; Day, K. (1988). Partitioning of Leaf Nitrogen-Content (Photosynthetic Capacity) with Respect to Leaf Canopy, Light Exposure, and Nitrogen Availability in Peach (Prunus-Persica). Hortscience. 23:3, 821-823.
- Dejong, T. M.; Doyle, J. F. (1987). Seasonal Patterns of Reproductive and Vegetative Sink Activity in Early and Late Maturing Peach (Prunus-Persica) Cultivars. Physiologia Plantarum. 71:1, 83-88.