Michael D. Cahn
1432 Abbott Street
Salinas, CA 93901
Santa Cruz County
San Benito County
- Salinas Valley Agriculture Blog
- CropManage online irrigation and nutrient management tool
- CropManage help and tutorials
Michael Cahn is an Irrigation and Water Resource Advisor for University of California, Cooperative Extension and serves the central coast counties of Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz. He received his B.S degree in Soil and Water Science from UC Davis, and Masters and Ph.D. degrees from Cornell University. He has worked for UC Cooperative Extension since 1995, first as a Vegetable and Row Crop Advisor in the Sacramento Valley, and since 2001 in his current position. His research and extension activities are focused in the areas of irrigation technology, water management of vegetable and horticultural crops, protection of water quality, and food safety. He led the development of CropManage, an online decision support tool for water and nutrient management of vegetables in 2011, which is now being adapted for berry, tree and forage crops.
SpecialtyIrrigation & Water Resources
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Vegetable Crops
- Bell Peppers
- Tomatoes - Fresh
- Tomatoes - Processing
- Leafy Vegetables
- Cole Crops
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Conservation and Efficient Use of Water
- Watershed Protection and Management
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Management of Saline and Sodic Soils and Salinity
- Agricultural, Natural Resource and Biological Engineering
- Instrumentation and Control Systems
- Drainage and Irrigation Systems and Facilities
- Small Farms
- Phillips, Bryn M.; Cahn, Michael (2021). "An Integrated Vegetated Treatment System for Mitigating Imidacloprid and Permethrin in Agricultural Irrigation Runoff." Toxics 9(1): 7.
- Macias-Gonzalez, M.; Truco, M. J. (2021). "Genetics of robustness under nitrogen- and water-deficient conditions in field-grown lettuce." Crop Science n/a(n/a)
- Montazar, Aliasghar; Geisseler, Daniel (2021). "Spatial Variability of Nitrogen Uptake and Net Removal and Actual Evapotranspiration in the California Desert Carrot Production System." Agriculture 11(8): 752.
- Moyne, Anne-laure; Blessington, Tyann (2020). "Conditions at the time of inoculation influence survival of attenuated Escherichia coli O157:H7 on field-inoculated lettuce." Food Microbiology 85: 103274.
- Geisseler, Daniel; Aegerter, Brenna J. (2020). "Nitrogen in soil and subsurface drip-irrigated processing tomato plants (Solanum lycopersicum L.) as affected by fertilization level." Scientia Horticulturae 261: 108999.
- Cahn, Michael D.; Phillips, Bryn (2019). Best Management Practices for Mitigating Pesticides in Runoff from Vegetable Systems in California. Pesticides in Surface Water: Monitoring, Modeling, Risk Assessment, and Management. American Chemical Society. 1308: 519-539.
- Cahn, M. (2019). "Drought Tip: Drought planning for vegetable production." Drought Tip ANR Publication 8632: 1-9.
- Laura E. Garza-DÃaz; Alyssa J. DeVincentis (2019). "Land-Use Optimization for Sustainable Agricultural Water Management in Pajaro Valley, California." Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 145(12): 05019018.
- Montazar, Ali; Cahn, Michael (2019). "Research Advances in Adopting Drip Irrigation for California Organic Spinach: Preliminary Findings." Agriculture 9(8): 177.
- Cahn, M.; Bali, K. (2018). "Consejos de la sequia: El manejo de las sales por medio de la filtracion." Consejos de la Sequia ANR Publication 8594: 1-9.
- Phillips, Bryn M.; Anderson, Brian S. (2017). "An integrated vegetated ditch system reduces chlorpyrifos loading in agricultural runoff." Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 13(2): 423-430.
- Koike, S. T.; Smith, R. F. (2017). "Association of the carrot pathogen Alternaria dauci with new diseases, Alternaria leaf speck, of lettuce and celery in California." Plant Health Progress 18(2): 136-143.
- Cahn, Michael; Smith, Richard (2017). "Field trials show the fertilizer value of nitrogen in irrigation water." California Agriculture 71(2): 62-67.
- Cahn, M. D.; Johnson, L. F. (2017). "New approaches to irrigation scheduling of vegetables." Horticulturae 3(2): 28.
- Anderson, Brian S.; Phillips, Bryn M. (2017). "Vegetated Treatment Systems for Removing Contaminants Associated with Surface Water Toxicity in Agriculture and Urban Runoff." JoVE(123): e55391.
- Hartz, Tim; Smith, Richard (2017). "Wood chip denitrification bioreactors can reduce nitrate in tile drainage." California Agriculture 71(1): 41-47.
- Johnson, L. F.; Cahn, M. (2016). "Evapotranspiration-based irrigation scheduling of head lettuce and broccoli." HortScience 51(7): 935-940.
- Daugovish, Oleg; Faber, Ben (2016). "Increasing Number of Drip Irrigation Lines for Water Conservation during Strawberry Establishment." International Journal of Fruit Science 16(sup1): 108-117.
- Smith, R.; Cahn, M. (2016). Nitrogen dynamics of cole crop production: Implications for fertility management and environmental protection. HortScience. 51:12, 1586–1591.
- Eriksen, Rene L.; Knepper, Caleb (2016). "Screening of Lettuce Germplasm for Agronomic Traits under Low Water Conditions." HortScience 51(6): 669-679.
- Koike, S. T.; Cahn, M.D. (2015). 4.3. Water management. Plant diseases and their management in organic agriculture.M. Finchkh, A. van Bruggen and L. Tamm. St Paul Minnesota USA, APS press. The American Phytopathological Society.: 141-152.
- Cahn, M.; Bali, K. (2015). "Drought Tip: Managing salts by leaching. Leaching for salt management." Drought Tip ANR Publication 8550: 1-8.
- Atwill, E.; Chase, J. (2015). "Transfer of E. coli 0157:H7 from simulated wildlife scat onto Romaine lettuce furing foliar irrigation." Journal of Food Protection 78(2): 240-247.
- Olivieri, A; Seto, E. (2014). "Risk-Based Review of California's Water-Recycling Criteria for Agricultural Irrigation." Journal of Environmental Engineering
- Heinrich, A.; Smith, R. (2014). "Winter-killed cereal rye cover crop influence on nitrate leaching in intensive vegetable production systems." HortTechnology 25: 502-511.
- Bottoms, T.; Hartz, T. (2013). "Crop and soil nitrogen dynamics in annual strawberry production in California." HortScience 48(8): 1034-1039.
- Heinrich, A.; Smith, R. (2013). "Nutrient and water use of fresh market spinach." HortTechnology 23: 325-333.
- Bolda, M.; Gaskell, M. (2012). Fresh Market Caneberry Production Manual. Agriculture and Natural Resources. ANR Publication 3525: 74.
- Bottoms, T.; Smith, R. (2012). "Nitrogen requirements and N status determination of lettuce." HortScience 47: 1768-1774.
- Aegerter, B.; Cahn, M.. (2011). "Asparagus production in California." ANR Publication 7234
- LeStrange, M.; Cahn, M.. (2011). "Broccoli production in California." Vegetable Production Series ANR Publication 7211
- Smith, R.; Aguiar, J. (2011). "Chili pepper production in California." Vegetable Production Series ANR Publication 7244
- Smith, R.; Bi, J. (2011). "Cilantro production in California." Vegetable Production Series ANR Publication 7236
- Moyne, A.; Sudarshana, M.R. (2011). "Fate of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in field-inoculated lettuce." Food Microbiology 28: 1417-1425.
- Smith, R.; Biscaro, A. (2011). Fresh-market bulb onion production in California. Vegetable Production Series. Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 7242. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/7242.pdf
- Smith, R.F.; Cahn, M.D. (2011). "Green onion production in California." Vegetable Production Series ANR Publication 72423
- Turini, T.; Cahn, M. (2011). "Iceberg lettuce production in California." Vegetable Production Series ANR Publication 7215
- Smith, R.; Cahn, M. (2011). "Leaf lettuce production in California." Vegetable Production Series ANR Publication 7216
- Koike, S.; Cahn, M.D. (2011). Spinach production in California. Vegetable Production Series. ANR Publication 7212. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/7212.pdf
- Moyne, A.; Cahn, M (2010). Influence of irrigation method on persistence of attenuated Escherichia coli O157:H7 in field-inoculated lettuce. International Association for Food Protection. August 2010.
- Cahn, M.; Miyao, G. (2010). Water management and impacts on water quality. Cover Cropping for vegetable Production: A grower's handbook. University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 3517: 31-36.
- Hoque, M.; Ajwa, H. (2010). "Yield and Postharvest Quality of Lettuce in Response to Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium Fertilizers." Hortscience 45: 1539-1544.
- Koike, S.; Cahn, M (2009). Cauliflower production in California. Vegetable Production Series. Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 7219. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf /7219.pdf
- Cahn, M (2009). Irrigation of head and romaine lettuce. UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Lettuce. University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 3450. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r441311511.html#IRRIGATION
- Cahn, M (2009). Measures to minimize water quality impairments to surface and ground water. UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Lettuce. University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 3450. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r441311611.html
- Weston, D.; Lentz, R. (2009). "Toxicity of anionic polyacrylamide formulations when used for erosion control in agriculture." Journal of Environmental Quality 38(238-247)
- Daugovish, C.; Cahn, M (2008). Cabbage production in California. Vegetable Production Series. Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 7208. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/7208.pdf
- Daugovish, C.; Smith, R. (2008). Celery production in California. Vegetable Production Series. Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 7220. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/7220.pdf
- Smith, R.; Bettiga, L. (2008). "Vineyard floor management affects soil, plant nutrition, and grape yield and quality." California Agriculture 62(4): 184-190.
- Hartz, T.; Johnstone, P. (2007). "Soil calcium status unrelated to tipburn of romaine lettuce." HortScience 42: 1681-1684.
- Shock, C.; Pereira, A. (2007). Vegetable irrigation. Irrigation of agricultural crops.R. Lanscano and R. Sojka. Madison, WI, ASA-CSSA-SSSA (American Society of Agronomy-Crop Science Society of America-Soil Science Society of America).: 535-606.
- Johnstone, P.; Hartz, T. (2005). "Lettuce response to phosphorus fertilization in high phosphorus soils." HortScience 40(5): 1499-1503.
- Platts, B.; Cahn, M. (2004). "Effects of recycled water on soil salinity levels for cool season vegetables." Acta Horticulturae 664: 561-566.
- Madden, N.; Mitchell, J. (2004). "Evaluation of conservation tillage and cover crop systems for organic processing tomato production." HortTechnology 14(2): 243-250.
- Cahn, M.; Herrero, E. (2004). "Late season water management effects on quality and yield of processing tomatoes." Acta Horticulturae 664: 111-118.
- Cahn, M.; Herrero, E. (2003). "Effects of irrigation cut-off on processing tomato fruit quality." Acta Horticulturae 613: 75-80.
- Krusekopf, H.; Mitchell, J. (2002). "Pre-sidedress soil nitrate testing identifies processing tomato fields not requiring sidedress N fertilizer." HortScience 37(3): 520-524.
- Hartz, T.; Miyao, G. (2001). "Potassium fertilization effects on processing tomato yield and fruit quality." Acta Horticulturae 542: 127-133.
- Krusekopf, H.; Mitchell, J. (2001). "Pre-sidedress soil nitrate testing to determine yield response to fertilizer applications in processing tomatoes." Acta Horticulturae 542: 135-142.
- Murray, M.; Cahn, M. (2001). "The University of California processing tomato workgroup: an example of ongoing effective collaborations." Acta Horticulturae 542: 253-260.
- Cahn, M; Herrero, E. (2001). "Water management strategies for improving fruit quality of drip irrigated processing tomatoes." Acta Horticulturae 542: 111-116.
- Cahn, M; Snyder, R. (1999). "Estimating evapotranspiration in processing tomato." Acta Horticulturae 487: 493-497.
- Hartz, T.; Miyao, G. (1999). "Potassium requirements for maximum yield and fruit quality of processing tomato." Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 124: 199-204.
- Hartz, T.; Giannini, C. (1999). "Soil cation balance affects tomato fruit color disorders." Acta Horticulturae 487: 49-55.
- Murray, M.; Cahn, M (1999). "University of California Cooperative Extension processing tomato cultivar evaluation program." HortTechnology 9(1): 36-39.
- Han, S.; Goering, C (1994). "Cell size selection for site-specific farming." Transcripts of the ASAE (American Society of Agricultural Engineering) 37: 19-26.
- Cahn, M; Hummel, J. (1994). "Spatial analysis of soil fertility for site-specific crop management." Soil Science Society of America Journal 58: 1240-1248.
- Han, S.; Goering, C (1993). "A robust method for estimating soil properties in unsampled cells." Transcripts of the ASAE (American Society of Agricultural Engineers) 36: 1336-1368.
- Cahn, M; Bouldin, D. (1993). "Amelioration of subsoil acidity in an Oxisol of the humid tropics." Biology and Fertility of Soils 15: 153-159.
- Cahn, M; Bouldin, D. (1993). "Cation and nitrate leaching in an Oxisol of the Brazilian Amazon." Agronomy Journal 85: 334-340.
- Cahn, M; Bouldin, D. (1992). "Nitrate sorption in the profile of an acid soil." Plant and Soil 143: 179-183.
- Sudduth, K.; Hummel, J. (1991). Soil organic matter sensing: a developing science. Symposium on Automated Agriculture for the 21st Century, American Society of Agricultural Engineers.
- Cahn, M; Zobel, R. (1989). "Relationship between root elongation rate and diameter and duration of growth of lateral roots of maize." Plant and Soil 119: 271-279.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Conservation Agriculture - Member
- Precision Agriculture - Member
- Small Farm - Member
- Vegetable Crops - Member
- Warm Season Vegetables - Member
- Waste Management and Compost - Member