Red Bluff Bull Sale —an analysis of the 14-year history of the country's largest graded range bull sale
The now-famous Red Bluff Bull Sale was organized by a group of progressive cattlemen and their livestock farm advisor, Don Smith, in 1942. The basic purpose was to upgrade the beef cattle in Tehama County through a marketing and production improvement project. Within a few years the sale gained attention throughout the West, and purebred breeders from eight states are now among the consignors each year. Bulls sold at Red Bluff are purchased by buyers from several of the western states, as well as California cattlemen. At first only Hereford bulls were sold, but by 1950 Angus and Shorthorns were included and it is now called a three-breed sale.