Dr. Astrid Volder
ProfessorDepartment of Plant Sciences
UC Davis Plant Sciences
Davis, CA 95616
SpecialtyRoot biology, tree systems, whole plant physiology, climate change
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Ornamentals / Landscape / Turf - General
- Landscape - General
- Trees - Ornamental / Landscape / Shade
- Parks and Urban Green Space
- Plant Biological Efficiency and Abiotic Stresses Affecting Plants
- Basic Plant Biology
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Urban Forestry
- Nutrients and Water in Agricultural Landscapes
- Water Quality, Quantity, and Security
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Volder, A; Dvorak, B (2014). "Event size, substrate water content and vegetation affect storm water retention efficiency of an un-irrigated extensive green roof system in Central Texas." Sustainable Cities and Environment 10: 59-64.
- Simpson, C. R.; Nelson, S. D. (2014). "Growth response of grafted and ungrafted citrus trees to saline irrigation." Scientia Horticulturae 169: 199-205.
- Volder, Astrid; Viswanathan, Bhavana (2014). "Pervious and impervious pavement reduce production and decrease lifespan of fine roots of mature Sweetgum trees." Urban Ecosystems 17(2): 445-453.
- Sharma, Sat Pal; Leskovar, Daniel I. (2014). "Root growth, yield, and fruit quality responses of reticulatus and inodorus melons (Cucumis melo L.) to deficit subsurface drip irrigation." Agricultural Water Management 136(0): 75-85.
- Cartmill, A. D.; Valdez-Aguilar, L. A. (2013). "Arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization does not alleviate NaCl-salinity stress in Vinca [Catharanthus roseus (L.) G. Don]." Journal of Plant Nutrition 36: 164-178.
- Volder, Astrid; Briske, David D. (2013). "Climate warming and precipitation redistribution modify tree-grass interactions and tree species establishment in a warm-temperate savanna." Global Change Biology 19: 843-857.
- Lombardini, Leonardo; Volder, Astrid (2013). "Consequences of Injury Caused by Cameraria caryaefoliella (Lepidoptera: Gracillariidae) on Pecan Gas Exchange and Chlorophyll Fluorescence." Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 138(4): 263-266.
- Dvorak, Bruce D.; Volder, Astrid (2013). "Plant establishment on unirrigated green roof modules in a subtropical climate." AoB Plants 5
- Dvorak, B; Byerley, B (2013). "Plant species survival on three water conserving green roofs in a hot humid subtropical climate." Journal of Living Architecture 1: 1-14.
- Dvorak, Bruce; Volder, A. (2013). "Rooftop temperature reduction from unirrigated modular green roofs in south-central Texas." Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 12(1): 28-35.
- Cartmill, Donita L.; Alarcon, Alejandro (2012). "Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi alleviate growth of Ulmus parvifolia Jacq. at suboptimal planting depths." Scientia Horticulturae 144: 74-80.
- Dieleman, Wouter I. J.; Vicca, Sara (2012). "Simple additive effects are rare: a quantitative review of plant biomass and soil process responses to combined manipulations of CO2 and temperature." Global Change Biology 18(9): 2681-2693.
- Aitkenhead-Peterson, Jacqueline,; Dvorak, Bruce, (2011). "Chemistry of growth medium and leachate from green roof systems in south-central Texas." Urban Ecosystems 14: 17-33.
- Viswanathan, Bhavana; Volder, Astrid (2011). "Impervious and pervious pavements increase soil CO2 concentrations and reduce root production of American sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua)." Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 10(2): 133-139.
- Sung, Chan Yong; Li, Ming-Han (2011). "Investigating alien plant invasion in urban riparian forests in a hot and semi-arid region." Landscape and Urban Planning 100(3): 278-286.
- Bryan, Donita L.; Arnold, Michael A. (2011). "Planting depth and soil amendments affect growth of Quercus virginiana Mill." Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 10(2): 127-132.
- Volder, A.; Tjoelker, M. G. (2010). "Contrasting physiological responsiveness of establishing trees and a C4 grass to rainfall events, intensified summer drought, and warming in oak savanna." Global Change Biology 16(12): 3349-3362.
- Dvorak, B; Volder, A (2010). "Green roof vegetation for North American ecoregions: A literature review." Landscape and Urban Planning 96(4): 197-213.
- Bryan, Donita L.; Arnold, Michael A. (2010). "Planting Depth During Container Production and Landscape Establishment Affects Growth of Ulmus parvifolia." Hortscience 45(1): 54-60.
- Bryan, D. L.; Arnold, M. A. (2010). "Transplant season, irrigation, and planting depth effects on landscape establishment of bald cypress and sycamore." Arboriculture & Urban Forestry 36: 57-65.
- Volder, A.; Anderson, L. J. (2009). "Estimating nitrogen uptake of individual roots in container- and field-grown plants using a 15N-depletion approach." Functional Plant Biology 36(7): 621-628.
- Volder, Astrid; Watson, Todd (2009). "Potential use of pervious concrete for maintaining existing mature trees during and after urban development." Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 8(4): 249-256.
- Volder, A.; Gifford, R. M. (2007). "Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2, cutting frequency, and differential day/night atmospheric warming on root growth and turnover of Phalaris swards." Global Change Biology 13(5): 1040-1052.
- Monson, R. K.; Trahan, N. (2007). "Isoprene emission from terrestrial ecosystems in response to global change: minding the gap between models and observations." Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society a-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 365(1856): 1677-1695.
- Volder, A.; Smart, D. R. (2005). "Rapid decline in nitrate uptake and respiration with age in fine lateral roots of grape: implications for root efficiency and competitive effectiveness." New Phytologist 165(2): 493-501.
- Eissenstat, D. M.; Volder, A. (2005). The efficiency of nutrient acquisition over the life of a root. Nutrient Acquisition by Plants: Ecological Perspective. Berlin, Springer-Verlag Berlin. 181: 185-220.
- Volder, A.; Edwards, E. J. (2004). "Does greater night-time, rather than constant, warming alter growth of managed pasture under ambient and elevated atmospheric CO2?" New Phytologist 162(2): 397-411.
- Volder, A.; Bliss, L. C. (2000). "The influence of temperature and nitrogen source on growth and nitrogen uptake of two polar-desert species, Saxifraga caespitosa and Cerastium alpinum." Plant and Soil 227(1-2): 139-148.
- Eissenstat, D. M.; Whaley, E. L. (1999). "Recovery of citrus surface roots following prolonged exposure to dry soil." Journal of Experimental Botany 50(341): 1845-1854.
- Volder, A.; Bonis, A. (1997). "Effects of drought and flooding on the reproduction of an amphibious plant, Ranunculus peltatus." Aquatic Botany 58(2): 113-120.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Almond - Member